Director, Quantitative Operational Risk Management
The Director of Quantitative Risk Management – Operational Risk is accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team that conducts and develops quantitative and analytic models, assessments and/or applications in support of risk management efforts that assess the market, credit and/or operational risks of new and existing financial products. Influences processes at both the business unit and enterprise level and leads and sets the agenda for risk management deliverables. Responsible for influencing complex decisions at both the enterprise and business unit level utilizing advanced analytical results that assess future risks, opportunities, and effectiveness. Leads or provides direction to cross-functional teams to achieve objectives across multiple business units or Centers of Excellence. Participates in and supports internal and external audits, regulatory reviews, and rating agency requests.
- Leads teams that utilize advanced analytics to assess future risk, opportunities, and effectiveness. Translates results into meaningful solutions to enhance decision making. Presents results to various levels of leadership and influences key decisions that have business unit or enterprise impact.
- Utilizes industry best practices to quantify risk and aggregate exposures. Oversees the development of complex systems and programs that measure aggregate risk exposures.
- May oversee model validation and model governance efforts.
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change.
- Oversees the production of advanced analytical material for discussions with cross-functional teams to understand complex business objectives and influences solution strategies.
- Effectively communicates analytical results, findings and solutions to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the Board of Directors. May serve in a lead capacity in governance committees.
- Interacts with internal and external stakeholders during audits, regulatory reviews and rating agency requests. Manages vendor relationships and evaluates needs pertaining to workforce augmentation.
- Educates risk owners on risk management best practices and may work with other risk functions in the development and implementation of risk controls.
- Performs all other tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or PhD in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline OR a total of 10+ years work experience related quantitative analysis experience in a discipline relevant to risk management to include statistical analysis, modeling, mathematics or other quantitative discipline in lieu of degree.
- 6+ years related quantitative analysis experience in a discipline relevant to risk management to include statistical analysis, modeling, mathematics or other quantitative discipline
- 2+ years demonstrated leadership or managerial experience
- Advanced degree with a quantitative emphasis
- Operation risk management experience in a large (> $50 Bn) complex financial institution-banking, insurance or other financial services institution.
- Experience with regulatory compliance and interacting with regulatory agencies (OCC/Fed/FDIC)
- Experience using advanced measurement approaches (AMA) to calculate risk-based capital requirements for operational risk
- Experience specifically relating to implementation of Basel II/III, as an employee of a leading global bank
- Experience providing technical advice and supporting capacity development of stakeholders in the area of Basel II implementation
- Solid business acumen to put analytics in the appropriate context while identifying key metrics that measure risk
- Knowledge of Operational Risk modeling and stress testing
- Experienced in advanced analytics tools, techniques, and trends (predictive analytics, data mining, big data analytics, etc)
- Relevant experience with modern distributed data technologies is desirable (Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Teradata, etc.)
- Experience leading large projects and initiatives
- Experience with advanced visualization tools and techniques
- Experience managing complex relationships with multiple stakeholders, vendors, industry peers, and counterparts within the organization