Lead Risk Appetite Analyst
The risk appetite team within the Bank Senior Risk Office is responsible for coordinating with partners across the company to establish the Bank’s tolerance for risk taking through the development of risk appetite statements and supporting risk appetite metrics and limits. The team monitors the Bank’s risk profile and produces reports for senior management and the Board of Directors. The position requires a strong understanding of Bank financials, a broad understanding of all types of risk (credit, interest rate, liquidity, price, operational, compliance, strategic, and reputation), and excellent communication, coordination and leadership skills.
Essential Job Functions:
• Coordinates complex annual risk appetite refresh process by working with individuals across the company to ensure deadlines are met, the Bank’s top risks are captured and limits are appropriate
• Oversees the production of comprehensive monthly reports and provides insights by synthesizing data from multiple sources and in various forms in order to draw conclusions on the overall level of risk
• Responsible for maintaining the Risk Appetite Framework, ensuring the program complies with OCC’s Heightened Standards and implementing improvements to the program
• Responsible for developing Key Risk Indicator Framework and ensuring processes are implemented to execute to the framework
• Analyzes the impact new products and services, strategies and/or stress scenarios have on the Bank’s risk appetite and communicates those findings in writing and verbally
• Performs quantitative analysis in order to provide effective challenge to front line units in metric and limit development
• Designs and develops dashboards and reports to communicate the Bank’s risk profile to various audiences
• Interacts with internal audit and regulators via written responses and in person
• Serves as a SME for risk appetite and provides direction to other members of the team
Conducts and develops quantitative and analytic models, assessments and/or applications in support of risk management efforts that assess the market and identify risks and gaps in existing or proposed processes. Applies diverse methodologies and deep experience in a variety of disciplines to identify and solve complex and/or undefined risk problems. Works with leadership to remediate gaps and improvements identified between existing practices and regulatory requirements. Leads and executes complex initiatives and cross functional teams within the Chief Risk Office and across the Enterprise that drive problem resolution. Leverages broad enterprise knowledge and/or expert knowledge of core business discipline(s), products and processes.
- Applies expert analytical knowledge to utilize advanced analytics to assess future risk and/or new risks, opportunities, and effectiveness.
- Translates results into meaningful solutions to enhance decision making.
- Presents findings to senior level leadership.
- Applies expert knowledge and industry best practices to quantify risk and aggregate exposures.
- Develops complex systems and programs that measure aggregate risk exposures.
- Performs model validations and presents results to senior leadership.
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change.
- Translates recommendations into communication materials to effectively present to senior leadership. Recommendations typically have a major impact on business results.
- Provides subject matter expertise in operationalizing recommendations.
- Applies expert knowledge to produce advanced analytical material to lead discussions with cross functional teams and senior leadership to understand complex business objectives and influence solution strategies.
- Demonstrates thought leadership in cross functional team environments.
- Drives and creates cross functional teams in support of initiatives that have significant impact to the enterprise or a core business area.
- Provides direction and mentorship to other team members in the peer review process.
- Expertly communicates analytical results, findings and solutions to governance committees and business process owners and influences business analysis.
- Bachelor's degree in STEM field, 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 or more years of related quantitative analysis experience in a discipline relevant to risk management Or PhD in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative discipline and up to 4 years work experience in a quantitative discipline relevant to risk management
- Successful completion of an analyst assessment may be required.
- Prior Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) or Bank risk governance experience in establishing and exercising controls surrounding risk measurement, risk appetite and limits, and representing Bank risk in various levels of corporate committees, managing agenda, and presentation materials.
- Knowledge of and experience in designing and operating governance, frameworks and processes to comply with Heightened Standards and other related regulatory requirements applicable to the Bank.
- Demonstrated experience in managing or evaluating multiple categories of risk (credit, interest rate, liquidity, price, operational, compliance, strategic, and reputation). Thorough understanding of consumer banking products and applicable regulatory limitations such as regulatory capital minimums and liquidity coverage ratio.
- Ability to synthesize data from multiple sources and in various forms, draw insightful conclusions on the overall level of risk, and communicate findings in writing and verbally
- Strong technical skills with tools such as Excel, Hyperion, Essbase, SAS, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in aggregating and analyzing various types of data with output to reports and/or dashboards and ability to communicate and present effectively to senior leadership.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or people management experience and/or experience leading major, cross-functional projects
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships across an organization
- Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) designation or current CFA candidate or Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation or current FRM candidate